Pages

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Health Issue: Ingrown Toenails

Okay, so must of us have this problem at some time or another in our lives. And the older we become, the more often we have the possibility of developing ingrown nails.

Today was one of those times for me.

First, let me tell you that if you have any problems with your feet, or have diabetes, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME. If you have health issues regarding blood flow to the feet, as with diabetes, please go to your doctor, or podiatrist, for ingrown removal.

However, I thought I would share with you how I remove my ingrown nails. I have had problems with ingrown nails my entire life. I have been to a doctor ONCE for ingrown removal, but it was so painful, and the doctor was so rough, that I swore I would never allow a doctor to remove them again if I was able to do it myself!. (It really was probably the most excruciating experience of my life! And I've given birth to five children!)

So, how have I managed to care for my toenails myself all this time?

Well, first, you should try not to cut your toenails too short. This only encourages them to grow into the sides of the toe. Allowing them to grow out, and cutting them straight across really is the best way to try to prevent them. (Some people are going to have them no matter what you do to prevent them. They just happen.) Still others ascribe to the theory that if you cut a "v" in the center of the end of the nail, it will cause the nail to grow toward that center, and thus keep it "pulled" from the corners of the nails. (I've tried that. Doesn't work for me.)

There are products that are supposed to prevent, or assist you in removing ingrowns. These are chemical treatments sold by your local pharmacy. I personally only tried one once. I got such a horrible infection from it, that I ended up having to be on antibiotics for two weeks! So, I don't recommend it.

AGAIN, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME IF YOU HAVE CIRCULATORY PROBLEMS OR DIABETES!!! I cannot, as a nurse, stress that enough!

So, I am attaching a YouTube video of a gentleman who is removing an ingrown in the manner I use. If you are squeamish, be forewarned. This does involve cutting the nail and removal with a tweezers.



This gentleman uses alcohol afterward. I don't recommend that, unless you really don't mind pain, as using an antiseptic will be painful at this time. The first day, I simply leave the nails open to air. If there is any bleeding, I soak the foot in warm epsom salts water. This helps with any discomfort, and also helps rinse the foot of any debris and bacteria you may have introduced to it. If I continue to notice any discomfort the second day, I soak it again in warm epsom salts water and apply iodine to the wound bed. Again, this might be uncomfortable, and slightly painful at first, but only if the skin integrity has been compromised. And I've been doing this long enough that is seldom ever the care.

To give you an idea of just what a removed ingrown looks like using this method, here are the four corners of my two large toenails removed this morning.

Yeah, pretty disgusting, huh? They look like something alien! Funny thing, is that they weren't hurting me this morning. I could simply tell they were ingrown when I felt them. (As I said, I've had them my whole life!)

Again, I cannot stress enough, DO NOT USE THIS METHOD if you have either circulatory or diabetic issues! The dangers to those of you with these problems are phenomenal! I have seen diabetics who lost their entire leg when attempting to remove an ingrown on their own!

But, for those of you with healthy immune systems, and no circulatory problems, this method works. It is about as cheap as it comes (you need a pair of clippers and a needle tip tweezer). Make sure you have bandaids on hand in case of bleeding, which does occasionally occur. Antiseptic and epsom salts.

If you are successful, pain relief is immediate!

Make sure that you always wear shoes that fit your feet. No pointy toes which pinch the nails. Make sure the toes have plenty of room to move about. (Yes, I know, we're not talking the most stylish here, but we are talking relief from ingrown nails!)

Please let us know if you find this article helpful!



No comments:

Post a Comment